Tuesday, March 15, 2011

If you had the chance to do it all over...


A mistake is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently- Henry Ford

Would you do things differently?

In November 2006, I left Litigation Support pretty abruptly due to a critical family emergency that needed immediate attention. This prompted me to uproot from where we lived in the city and relocate to the Midwest practically in the course of a weekend. This also meant me leaving the firm where I worked, on very short notice and no possibility or promise of returning to my position. I felt very bad letting down my department, but understood the seriousness of the situation. The thought of even losing this kind of job security was pretty heavy, but I saw that there was something far greater that was screaming for my action, and something critical had to be done. So I took the risk!

Do you have any regrets?

I have really battled at times the feelings of regret for leaving the firm. Hindsight is 20/20 and I have learned a million new things about myself and my value within a unit. In May 2009, I completed my undergraduate degree and began an MBA program. During this time away from the industry I have been challenged on the value of communication, on both sides, becoming more effective in how I transmit and becoming more patient in the receiving process. I truly understand, in a greater way the extreme value of information (data), a powerful currency. And so much more…

All of these things have come as a result of taking the risk that some would call a mistake. And I would not be mad at you if you did. I have a stronger family today because of the decision. 

More to come…

Frank

2 comments:

  1. It's not a mistake but an opportunity. I've been in Litigation Support for most of the last 11 years and I'm still amazed at the leaps and bounds the industry has done.

    ReplyDelete